Friday, March 19, 2010

Duck Tails and Bobby Sox

Last night was a fun night for my kids and me. I like a good family night out that's more than heading to the movies or somewhere far and away out of town.  I found a good evenings entertainment right here in Hillsborough.  We went to the CW Stanford's spring theater production "Duck Tails and Bobbysox, A 1950's Rock Musical"  Set in Andy's diner in roughly the mid 1950's, this show had lots to offer everyone in my family.  When I say there was plenty for my entire family, I mean my five year old sat through the entire production, tapped his foot and sang a bit. My Middle school age kids thought it was cool to see their friends up on stage or playing in the "Pit" band.
My critical point of view though is I was impressed to see so much young talent. I didn't see anyone over acting their parts and there was only once I recognized a "flub."  I could see much effort had been put into making this production peachy keen.  For starters, upon entering the doors of the lobby I was met with a Menu and Milk Shake machine.  The "menu" is a well designed play bill which hosts everything from "Signature Specials,"  "Goody's" and "Every Day Favorites."  To set the tone of the 50's musical there were milk shakes for sale, provided by Andy's Hamburgers.
Inside the cafeteria, the stage was set with some of the best scenery I have ever seen at a middle school production. Either A, I haven't been to a good middle school production or B. CWS has lots talent drawing, and painting those sets, just know that I was impressed by what I saw last evening.  If a mid 50's soda shop isn't enough to set things off, the costumes were more than impressive. There were girls wearing poodle skirts and saddle shoes, boys with greasy hair and leather coats. No soda shop would be complete without a roller skating table hop, and this production had it.
Considering this show is a musical, it wouldn't be complete without live music.  The singers on stage were all accompanied by "Mary May and The Ducktails and Bobbysox Orchestra."  They kept the beat going all evening long, so much so, that by the end of the show people were dancing in the isle.  My youngest couldn't keep his feet still for most of the show, and there were plenty of times I could have broken into song and dance with the pit playing behind me.  I think such gesture would have been inappropriate and down right embarrassing to the two middle school age childern in my house, after all they are the ones who have to go to school there.
I realize this is only a middle school play but there was lots of young growing talent on the stage.  Because I don't want to offend anyone, I am not going to mention any names, you'll just have to go look for yourself.   Just know that some can dance, and some can sing, and others can fight and cheer really well.
This was a fun production to watch and it was well worth it, milk shakes and all for my kids and me.  I highly recommend catching this show before it closes.  Head for Andy's Soda Shop located in the CW Stanford Cafeteria Friday or Saturday 7PM-9PM. The price for a family is $8, milk shakes are $2 and can be purchased before the show starts or during intermission.   

No comments: