Saturday, June 28, 2008

A new magic wand (sorta)

Every domestic engineer finds herself wondering if those new cleaning products are worth the money. For myself I have found white vinegar, and baking soda to do most of the work in my house. Occasionally I get out the Clorox bleach for strong disinfection. So I am always weary of any new products.
Recently though I have found myself rather embarrassed with the state of my carpets. My living room is home to wall to wall light pink low pile carpet. As I call it the stain magnifier. Now I rent so please don't think that my design tastes are horrible, it came this way. I am a fan of the neutral colors. I told my partner I needed to try and get up the stains on the carpet. I have used foaming carpet cleaners before and they work for some stains. I went to the store and what should I see on sale this week, Wool lite Carpet Stick. Now I realize this is nothing more than a brush with a handle but I will say I am impressed.
I am normally one to avoid new gadgets. I try to keep cleaning simple so its not over welming. So purchasing this gadget with its chemical cleaner was far outside of the norm for me. I had two rather larger and noticeable stains on the carpet in the living room. One was from chocolate milk the other was a "mystery" stain. You know the stain no one knows how it got there or what is was. So I went for it. I put the stick together and followed the directions. The first thing a user does is put the can upside down in the base of the stick and "unlock" the stick. Then turn the stick with the brush side up and pull it backwards across the carpet. Now I don't know about everyone else but in the past using a canned carpet cleaner getting even application was difficult. With the design of the stick it applies and even amount of cleaner over the stain.
The next step is "locking" the stick and turning it over with the brush down. Now is time for elbow grease to go to work. Scrubbing the carpet was always one aspect of spray cleaners I hated. It would get on my hands and in my face. I have also used a sponge mop of carpet cleaners. Not this time, the stick has a stiff bristled brush on back. The handle is strong enough to really get to scrubbing. While I was scrubbing I could tell that the cleaner was working. These stains have been there for months. At one point I had a rug over them. I scrubbed each stain of about 5 minutes.
The final step is to allow the cleaner to dry. I let it dry over night and vacuumed the area the next morning. While the stains weren't gone completely I could tell a significant difference in the color of the stains.
I then went into my bed room where the carpet is WHITE!!! I went to work on some chocolate milk stains. Here I was impressed as well. My partner could see the difference. I was pleased with the results the combo of the stick and the cleaner together.
I will say the Wool lite carpet stick isn't a steam cleaner. Its not a Rug doctor in anyway. I actually love the rug doctors because they do in fact work so well but renting professional equipment isn't practical for every day applications. I have also wanted a carpet cleaner for my home but the sheer size and mess of those are intimidating. Again something I wouldn't mind having for a few times a year but not something I would want to use for a minor spill or the area in front of the door.
It would seem the Wool lite carpet stick is filling a niche between an bi annual steam clean and inexpensive canned carpet cleaners. Not a bad place to be for those us who don't like scrubbing carpets on our hands and knees or want to get out a 30lb carpet cleaner. I would say give it a try it would be well worth it.

No comments: