Thursday, August 28, 2008

Seeing the light

I wouldn't say an actual Light as in a divine moment, it was more or less like a HUGE compact florescent bulb going off above my Partner's head. You mean he doesn't have to go to school next year.
My son in less than a year will be old enough to start school in a public education institution. However according to North Carolina state rules, a child is not required to do Kindergarten and does not have to register as a home school student until they are old enough to start the first grade. My son will be six or seven depending on his maturity level when he enters the first grade.
While many of my son's peers are headed off to preschool, and at the same time mothers are scrambling to get thereon time I am here at home. The reason is my partner and I have decided to give Homeschooling the old college try. Now in many respects I am a home schooler, I always find the home schoolers where ever I live. I haven't stopped looking for them now and I plan to continue looking until I find a group that meets my needs. I come up with things for my son to explore and I search for those "teachable" moments.
Why is now different from all the other times. Well in some ways I had considered putting my DS in preschool for a while. I had planned on finishing my degree and giving him a chance in a "structured" enviroment. Just not two weeks ago I was calling preschools and my partner was trying to get a grasp on the fact that not even a year from now our son, his baby, would be going off to kindergarten. More than anything I think my DP found comfort in the pressure being let off from our son.
So next week is our first "official week." Basically, I will be scheduling my house hold activities around his desire to explore. The house should be ready by then to fully help him explore his desire to learn and understand the world around him.

No comments: