Monday, September 8, 2008

Planning my Child House

Maria Montessori was the founder of the Montessori Education. You can find out a lot about her just by doing a Google search. She believed that children were sensitive to learning in the early years. She also believed in freedom and independence for the children.
Many of her concepts I have embraced as just a part of my parenting. That is respect for the child, planning my home around their needs and encouraging my child's Independence. Although I haven't encouraged independence in the traditional way, of forcing him to do it. When he is ready, for example to get himself dressed, I have shown him how to get dressed on his own.

Since we have moved I my head has been spinning over the many lessons and activities that are within the Montessori approach to early child hood learning. I know that for certain I want to set up a learning environment, but at the same time I know that I cannot feature the hundreds of activities provided by numerous resources. I also know that many of the practical life activities are just a matter of daily life at home, so again I don't need a special area for practical life. Some of the more "academic work will need some special areas.
At first I was hoping to set up several learning areas in my home. I came to realize that my DS might get more out of the activities if they were in one learning "environment." So I have set aside an area of the living room that will be for him and his needs. However before I do that there's some other things I am going to have to do.
First, the entry way of our home lacks proper coat hooks and a designated place for shoes. In general I would like these things to be kept in the bedroom, but with winter coming I would prefer that coats and muddy shoes stay as close to the door as possible. In this area I will hang several coat hooks low enough for my DS to reach. My DS has been hanging up his own coat since he was about 18 months old, mainly because he has had his very own coat hook.
Also in this same entry way is the laundry and utility pantry. My DS has always had his own cleaning tools. So far he has a small duster, I bought a dry mop that has a telescoping handle for he and I to use, and he has his own broom. My plans are to purchase a sponge mop and cut off the handle and get a new broom. He has had his current broom for three years now and its not in the best shape for good sweeping. All of these items will be kept where he can easily reach them and use them if he needs to.
Next is my kitchen. Now this is a full adult size kitchen yet my DS has his own things in this kitchen too. First I will be purchasing a step stool for the kitchen. We already own one stool, but its not always ready to use in the kitchen. So we need one that is always stationed in the kitchen. I plan to rearrange the fridge so things like Yogurt, Cheese and fresh veggies are all within reach. Currently all of our kitchen utensils are kept in low drawers. My DS knows where they are. Because we haven't done any work with knives together, I have decided to keep them out of reach until he's ready to use a knife.
All of his dishes are kept in a low cabinet. As of right now they are in a box and I don't think this system working. If he cannot find what he's looking for he gets easily frustrated. I will be rearranging that area as well. I have another bank of cabinets I am using for "homeschooling." these Cabinets will house all of the a activities that i am working on before putting them into the learning environment. I will also house supplies and things that I am stock piling. There's also a lower set of cabinets I have decided to use for art supplies. I know that the Montessori method encourages the use of low open shelves. The art supplies such as paint and glue I would rather keep in the kitchen. I think having these "messy" items in the kitchen will make for easier clean up when my DS is finished using them. My DS will know where these items are will be taught how to properly set the area up for using them.
The dining room is next. So far as I can tell there isn't anything really needed in this area. My DS is tall enough to sit at the table with out a booster seat. He understands that dinner and other events around the table are for the entire family. So he is with us at dinner enjoying all that the entire households has to offer at dinner time.
The living room is a room that is lacking A LOT of things. Its not even adult friendly, let alone child friendly. The room is a massive room host to the TV, stereo , DVD player, and two couches. My ultimate plan for this room is to have our learning environment set up here. It will be host to the language, sensorial, history, math area of the house. Now this will include a table and chairs for his size and a rug. Once I set up the area I plan on taking a few day show him how to "respect" the environment. Making sure he puts the work back, how to set things up, ect.
Since we plan on moving the DVD player and Stereo equipment out of his reach, mainly because as adults we have a hard time using it at a lower level, we will giving our DS his own TV and CD player. These items will be in his bedroom.
The next room that will need some planning is his bathroom. So far we have a stool, and low hooks for him. The bath tub is only used by him, so we have toys and tear less shampoo. NOW if I could teach him that all he needs is a little bit of shampoo each time, we'd be in business. He already knows how to turn on the water and how to make the right temperature. He knows where the towels are kept. The tooth paste and tooth brush are within his reach and he has been shown and has mastered putting the right amount of tooth paste on the brush. He is left to brush his own teeth, but I do observe.
The last and final place is my DS's bedroom. The space is a shared space, with my DS being the primary resident. Each child will get a book case for their very own toys and books. Each child will get a dresser. My DS's dresser will be labeled so that he can put his clothes away in the right drawer. Each child will have their own chair for TV viewing or other activities. The beds are bunked and I have found this to be difficult when teaching my DS how to make his bed. I have difficulty making this particular bed and I can imagine what a four year old must experience. There's also the issue of the closet. My DS like many kids of his generation simply has too many toys. After moving I have established that only about quater of his toys and books are out for him to play with. His favorites are his puzzle collection, and toys that allow him to pretend. THe rest of his toys and books are stored in the closet. He closet at this point is full and not usable for clothing, though he doesn't have clothing to hang up either.
My bedroom is home of the computer. For the most part my DS does spend some time in our room but its not entirely child friendly. Since the computer is here, there is a low shelf with his computer games on it. He is allowed to play computer games when no one else is using the computer. For now he isn't allowed online, not because of online predators but because I really don't want any extra soft ware down loaded. So until he can read some of the pop ups that sometime happen on line (even with pop up blocker) I am going to keep off line.
As I get each area of the home more adapted to my DS I will share pictures and ideas.

No comments: