Thursday, September 4, 2008

When the Door Bell Rings

How many times have I found myself in this state. Its 11 AM in the morning, I haven't brushed my teeth, the breakfast dishes are still out, I have started some project that has turned the house into a giant wreck, and my child looks like something from Lord of the Flies when ,DING DONG!!! The door bell rings and suddenly the panic of OMG, the house is a wreck and my breath stink runs over my entire being.
It happened much like that today. I had been stumbling around the house since about 9:30. After checking e mail and getting breakfast for my DS I had decided on mopping the floors and rearranging our living room. All the while this morning I sensed that there was something important I had to do today or going to happen although I had forgotten what it was. So I am taking my time, leisurely cleaning the living room and washing laundry. My DS and I even stop for a little while to make "cake". My DS wanted to pretend he was running a kitchen. When we stopped pretending we started on washing the bath mats for the bathroom when the Door bell rang.
All I could think of at that moment, was who could it possibly be, no one ever visits me out in the boonies. My DS went running for the door. Mind you he's wearing a pair of dirty shorts and still had paint on him from yesterday with chocolate in the corner of his mouth from the brownie he at for breakfast. I move my DS aside and open the door, wearing stained T-Shirt and Spongebob shorts. Standing in the door way was one of my DP's co-workers. She had come to sample the water. Now lets rewind a moment. ...

Yesterday my DP comes in very stressed with the test results from our well. He says its been a very rough day please read. There under "findings" were words that NO Family wants to read , "fecal Coliform, e-coli, Positive". That's right we have fecal bacteria in our well. As a result the well needs to be tested again and this time by someone from the health department, and NOT my DP. My DP was telling me all of this while I was rushing around the house attempting to get my DS and I ready for church.
Back to the events of today....
The lady must have been a full time Domestic Engineer previous to her working and noticed the fear of disaster in my face for she said she would take her time getting the sample she needed outside. WOW!! Relief. Well I was somewhat relieved until I went back to tidy up the kitchen. When I got there I swear the mess had multiplied into some sort of a monster. I am pretty sure I got the kitchen back in order in less than 5 minutes. At this point though the dishwasher will need to be reloaded as I used it as more of a dirty dish storage unit. I slammed all of the dirty cast iron pans into the oven and quickly swept the floor. My DS helped me as I was , begging him to please wash the counter tops. The poor guy seen his mother in a panic and was stunned. LOL. He was more interested in the "water sample" lady than actually making the house more presentable.
After the kitchen was up to par. That was the dirty dishes were hidden out of sight in the modern marvel known as the dish washer, I dashed into my bedroom and changed shorts. I only hope the woman didn't notice I was still wearing my PJ's at Noon. Then I calmly walked back to the kitchen to do some decluttering of the bar. I helped my DS put on a shirt. I had to find time to calm down. The house wasn't the marvelous wreck it was when she first arrived.
After a few minutes she returned to the front door and this time I could smile. She took the water sample. All the while I am hoping to find an opening to explain why my house is in a undesirable state. She asks "so you guys home school, that's what Erik said". I thought to myself "YES! I finally have my chance." I told her that yes were homeschooling and next week we'd be starting things full force and as a result I have had to put extra effort into lesson planning and such so the house has been a bit neglected. She told me about her homeschooling days and how things would go for her family. I was at least glad that she's been there.
SO as I closed the door behind her my DS asked "Do we have to clean fast like that again." I couldn't help laughing.

No comments: