Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday

In years past I have found myself awake as early as 3AM, sneaking out of the door to the car to wait in line. The weeks leading up to Black Friday were me going through ads, listening to the news about door buster deals.

This year was different with the weeks and days leading up to Black Friday. I had it all planned out, I had been reading websites, articles, checking paper ads, you name it I had found the deals. Yet, something this year didn't seem right. Part of me truly didn't want to slink out of bed at 2AM, to stand in line at Toys r us so I might save $15 on the latest toy my son has been asking for since it debuted on TV. I didn't want to risk waging war with the rest of the deal seekers. Part of me felt as though like the rest of America was desperate to save money on this all consumer holiday that is Christmas. That something bad would happen.

Some how I knew deep inside that I would be sitting out this Black Friday. Friday morning I rose out of bed at around 9AM, soon to be greeted by my son. We had a family friend asleep on our couch and I started the morning coffee. I was stretched in two directions, I was thinking I could get in the car now and grab those last minute deals before 11AM, the other part of me was thinking...WTF for! It wasn't long before I logged on line to see that someone had been trampled to death at Wal Mart, and later in the day I read people had been shot at a Toys R Us. Now honestly I was relieved because if hoards of crazies were out that morning in other parts of country, they were certainly out in about in my area.

So alas. I stayed home, and I didn't even shop online for the anything.

No comments: