Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Doing more than being Mommy.

It has taken me a while, but I am back to blogging just today. Until today I hadn't read any one Else's blog for weeks and I hadn't written in my own blog and here I am.
Where I have been and what happened in the life of this Domestic Engineer is difficult to talk about. I will however share what is happening right now that personally effects me.
About a month ago I ultimately decided to start my own business. It is something I have always aspired to. When I was little I always wanted to sell things to other people. I really wanted to be a craft vendor at local craft fairs. However, my passion for sales wasn't limited to crafts, although I didn't like Girl Scouts, I LOVED selling cookies. In high school I was notorious for selling the most of any item in fund raisers.
Lately I have been turning my dinning area into a studio of sorts, making everything from sewing projects, home made paper, painting, sketching ideas, writing a business plan. Part of me thinks I must be INSANE for even thinking of such a venture when the economy is in the toilet, but I see it as in opportunity. I remind myself of the woman in the movie Chocolate who opened her chocolate store in the midst of Lent. She knew what she wanted to do, and and she did it. So what if things are not "ideal", now is the time for me to do this particular venture. I have practiced making products for years and now I am ready to make it a full reality.
My short term plans are to just get enough products made to list them on http://www.etsy.com/, and come up with the funds to start doing a weekend flea market table. My profits will go to build the business in terms of more products and vending at local craft fairs. Any extra money will go to pay for activities for my son's to attend such as Ice skating or swimming lessons.
I am still in the process of writing the full plan, and still testing products for the market. I am in the early stages of something that could satisfy an intense personal need to be something other than "MOM".
The other thing I am desperately trying to achieve is being readmitted to "the university" for the spring term. Like many young domestic Engineers I have a degree in waiting. I took time off while my life was moved across the state and then back again. I should know my fate for the spring term as early as Friday. I am excited about the possibility of finally finishing a degree I started on three years before my son's arrived. I also wonder what getting that degree really means for my family. Sure I could get right to work, my degree is job security and financial security its also a burden of obligation. The burden of actually using my degree for its intended purpose is perhaps the one thing that hangs over my head. Having a degree can be a powerful asset to anyone that has one, but what does that really mean for a woman who truly wants to be at home and run a household? I have yet to answer that question for my personal situation. I can speculate on the "what should be's" but they don't really satisfy what it means for me.
Anyways I am back, and will be back posting on a daily basis about life, whats happening.

No comments: